Did you know that:
- One in five (20%) Americans lives with a mental illness.
- Some research, like that from Johns Hopkins, says as many as one in four (26%) live with a mental illness.
- One in twenty-five (4%) live with a serious mental illness (such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, et cetera).
- Mental and substance abuse disorders are the leading cause of disability worldwide.
- The less access to care a person has, the more likely they are to be incarcerated.
- 1% of Americans live with schizophrenia.
- That one in five we talked about above equals to about 44,000,000 people!
- 8.7% of Americans (19,000,000 people) have at least one specific phobia.
- Less than 20% of children and adolescents with diagnosable mental health problems receive the treatment.
- 800,000 people die by suicide every year.
- Suicide is the SECOND leading cause of death for people 15-29.
- 22 current- or former- servicemembers a day die by suicide.
With proper care and treatment, 70-90% of people with mental illness experience a significant reduction in symptoms and an improved quality of life.
- 56% of Americans did not receive treatment for their mental illness.
- Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama had the least access to care and highest rates of imprisonment.
- http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/issues/state-mental-health-america(Accessed August 15, 2017)
- http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/mental_health_disorders/mental_health_disorder_statistics_85,P00753/ (Accessed August 25, 2017)
- http://www.mentalhealth.gov/basics/myths-facts/index.html (Accessed August 15, 2017)
- http://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-mental-health (Accessed August 15, 2017)
- http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2801 (Accessed August 15, 2017)
- http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/mental_health/mental_health_facts/en/index2.html (Accessed August 15, 2017)
- http://www.adaa.org/about-adaa/press-room/facts-statistics (Accessed August 15, 2017)